Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Pearl Harbor, Hawaii

I recently made my way to the historic landmark “Pearl Harbor,” in Hawaii. This was one of the most touching and moving experiences I have ever had. I started my day by leaving my home – which I set my http://www.besthomesecurity.com/ for on the way out. Driving up to Pearl Harbor, you get the feeling that you are walking into an area that has tons of historical ramifications behind it, especially for the United States, as the attack on Pearl Harbor was what brought America into WWII.

You first enter an outside holding area while you wait to go into a movie theater that shows a movie about the attack on Pearl Harbor and the sinking of the Battleship Arizona. While you wait for the movie you have access to the Pearl Harbor Museum, where you can see tons of old artifacts, as well as look at footage and war pieces from that era. There is also a souvenir area to purchase small souvenirs from.

After the movie, you are ushered onto a small boat that takes you out to the actual Arizona Battleship Memorial. This is a truly touching site. It is in the middle of the bay, where the original ship was sunk. Every person’s name that died on the ship that day is engraved on a metal wall as part of the memorial. You can look down into the ocean and still see where drops of oil leak very slowly out of the sunken ship.

Needless to say, the whole experience was very moving. It gave me more of an insight as to how much those men and women gave up for their country during the war.


Thanks to Frances Baker for the guest post!


No comments:

Fast Forward and December is almost Here!

It feels so good to be back on my blog. I haven't really had the time to update my blogs since January because I have been quite busy. T...